Thursday, January 8, 2009

The Quest







Recently, my DCs (that's dear cousins not darn cats) were down for a visit. Since one is an expert decorator and the other is an expert painter, it was time for some help redoing my bathroom. I'm thrilled with how it turned out. I had the red walls before, but they were repainted a red with a little more of a brown undertone instead of the color I called "caliente". The other walls were all beige before and now they are a lovely brown. I want to lick them because they look like a fudgsicle to me, (my expert painter cousin told me not to do that for at least three days though to let the paint set) but they are acutally Saddle Soap by Benjamin Moore. I had two round decorative mirrors over the sink which we replaced with a large rectangular mirror from Kirkland's and it was even on sale. It's much more user friendly when two of us are in there. We also repainted the light over the mirror to match the other walls. We added a decorative shower curtain and bathroom accoutrements from Target as well. (I love that store!) My problem now is finding a valance. I found one at Target that I thought would work, but when I hung it, it looked too plain. I'm having trouble finding one that ties in the two colors of the bathroom. The ones I have seen with those colors are either too fancy or too ugly. If I had a little bit of sewing ability, I would look for fabric. I'm afraid to even look though for fear I will find the perfect fabric and it will end up being my life long sorrow. So now I have a quest to find the perfect valance. I know it will show up someday, but until then we will just have to look at an empty rod on an absolutely lovely red wall.

5 comments:

DJ said...

Oh man, I love valances. I remember just the other day saying, "Wouldn't the world be a better place, if everybody used valances in some way? Like if they used them for the purposes that they were designed for." [I have no idea what this valance is you speak of. But I like your bathroom. Great cousins!]

veronica said...

who doesn't know what a valance is?
dave said it is not manly to know of valances.

i love your pic hanging over the tub. it reminds me of a new stamp line from stampedous that i would love to have.
http://www.stampendous.com/stampsfdr/pA67-1.html

veronica said...

sorry, i tried to put a link to the stamp set that looks like your pic. but it didn't work.
if you go to stampendous, the name of the line is called scenic serenity. very pretty.

sorry that i can't offer to sew your valence for you. i just finished mom's valence for her dining room, and it was difficult. i would rather not get into that line of sewing.

The Swinks said...

Now I have a new quest. To check out these stampendous stamps.

By the way, it sounds to me like someone isn't very secure in his masculinity. Steve knows what a valance is and not just because of our bathroom. I prescribe romantic comedies with your wife.

Thanks for thinking of me, Roni, but I couldn't ask you to do that after my beautiful tote and purse anyway. :*)

Michellem said...

SO happy that you love your bathroom - I love it too!!! So does the expert painter!!